A short prayer experience from 365 Prayers for Catholic Schools and Parish Youth Groups
By Filomena Tassi and Peter Tassi
“Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 10:39)
Give it up
Dear Lord, as difficult as it is, we pray that we will have the discipline and willingness to make sacrifices. Help us to recognize that it is in and through sacrifice that we will accomplish great things. When we are willing to give up something for a cause that is greater than we are, it can only bring us success and a great feeling of accomplishment. Lord, help us to be people who are always willing to sacrifice for the benefit of greater causes.
- Should making sacrifices be a part of our everyday life?
- In what ways do people who make sacrifices benefit?
- Who are some people who have sacrificed for you? How did it make you a better person?
Sacrifice is worth it
Lord, we know that sacrifice is a part of life. If we want to do well on tests, we must sacrifice our social time to study. If we want to do well on the court, field, or stage, we have to sacrifice our time to practice. If we want to do well in life, we have to sacrifice immediate pleasure for long-term gain. Grant us the wisdom to know what we need to sacrifice and the strength to make the sacrifice, so that we can be the best we can be.
- Who are some people in history who made great sacrifices to create a better world?
- What are some sacrifices that we can make that will pay off in the end?
- How did the sacrifices Jesus made change the world?
All content copyright © Today’s Catholic Teacher/Bayard.com. All rights reserved. May be reproduced for classroom/parish use with full attribution as long as the content is unaltered from its original form. To request permission to reprint online, email firstname.lastname@example.org.